Pizza Dough Recipe: Today, we shall be guiding you on the steps and procedures on how to make Pizza Dough at any point in time. All you need to do is calm down and read this article.
Follow these basic instructions for a thick, crisp, and chewy pizza crust at home. The recipe yields enough pizza dough for two 12-inch pizzas and you can freeze half of the dough for later. Close to 2 pounds of dough total.
Ingredients Of Pizza Dough
- 1 and 1/3 cups (320ml) warm water (between 100-110°F, 38-43°C)
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons Red Star Platinum instant yeast (1 standard packet)*
- 1 Tablespoon (13g) granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 and 1/2 cups (450g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled), plus more for hands and surface
- Sprinkle of cornmeal for dusting the pan
How to Make Pizza Dough
1. Whisk the warm water, yeast, and granulated sugar together in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a dough hook or paddle attachment.
Cover and allow to rest for 5 minutes. *If you don’t have a stand mixer, simply use a large mixing bowl and mix the dough with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula in the next step.
2. Add the olive oil, salt, and flour. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
With lightly floured hands, knead the dough for 3-4 minutes (for a visual, watch me do it in the video above!). The dough can be a little too heavy for a mixer to knead, but you can certainly use the mixer on low speed instead.
After kneading, the dough should still feel a little soft. Poke it with your finger – if it slowly bounces back, your dough is ready to rise. If not, keep kneading.
3. Lightly grease a large bowl with oil or nonstick spray– just use the same bowl you used for the dough. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it to coat all sides in the oil.
Cover the bowl with aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or a clean kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 60-90 minutes or until double in size.
(Tip: For the warm environment on a particularly cold day, heat your oven to 150°F (66°C). Turn the oven off, place the dough inside, and keep the door slightly ajar.
This will be a warm environment for your dough to rise. After about 30 minutes, close the oven door to trap the air inside with the rising dough. When it’s doubled in size, remove it from the oven.)
4. preheat oven to 475°F (246°C). Allow it to heat for at least 15-20 minutes as you shape the pizza. Lightly grease a baking sheet or pizza pan with nonstick spray or olive oil.
Sprinkle lightly with cornmeal, which gives the crust extra crunch and flavor. Highly recommended.
5. Shape the dough: When the dough is ready, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Divide the dough in half.
(If not making 2 pizzas freeze half of the dough for another time– see freezing instructions below.) On a lightly floured work surface using lightly floured hands or a rolling pin, gently flatten the dough into a disc.
Place on prepared pan and, using lightly floured hands, stretch and flatten the disc into a 12-inch circle. Lift the edge of the dough up to create a lip around the edges.
I simply pinch the edges up to create the rim. If using a pizza stone, place the dough directly on the baker’s peels dusted with cornmeal.
6. Cover dough lightly with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest for a few minutes as you prepare your pizza toppings.
I suggest pepperoni & green peppers or jalapeño slices, extra cheese pizza, Hawaiian pizza, classic Margherita pizza, spinach artichoke white pizza, or homemade BBQ chicken pizza.
7. Top & bake the pizza: To prevent the filling from making your pizza crust soggy, brush the top lightly with olive oil.
Using your fingers, push dents into the surface of the dough to prevent bubbling. Top with your favorite toppings and bake for 12-15 minutes.
8. Slice hot pizza and serve immediately. Cover leftover pizza tightly and store it in the refrigerator. Reheat as you prefer. Baked pizza slices can be frozen for up to 3 months.